Overseas applicants must obtain a “student” visa to be able to study in a Japanese university and be accorded all privileges given to college students. The complete procedure for visa application is as follows:
- Submission of a Certificate of Eligibility Application Form to the Nagoya Regional Immigration Bureau by Nanzan University on the student’s behalf.
- Issuance of the Certificate of Eligibility
- Sending of the Certificate of Eligibility to the student by Nanzan University
- Application for a “student” visa by the student by presenting the Certificate of Eligibility as one of the necessary documents to the Japanese Embassy or Consulate.
- Issuance of Visa
- Application for landing permission at the port of entry
After admission, Nanzan University will submit the Certificate of Eligibility Application Form to the Nagoya Regional Immigration Bureau on the student’s behalf. It is recommended that the admitted student, upon receiving the admission notice, apply for a passport (if this has not yet been done) and send to Nanzan University a copy of the personal information page of his/her passport.
Since the issuance of the Certificate of Eligibility takes from one to one and a half months after submission of the application, admitted students are requested to return all necessary forms early enough to allow some time for unforeseen delay. All admitted students must comply with time restrictions by showing complete cooperation with the scheduling made by Nanzan University.
After receiving the Certificate of Eligibility from the Nagoya Immigration Bureau and receiving the necessary fees from the admitted student, Nanzan University will send the Certificate of Eligibility and other official documents to each student so that he/she can apply for a student visa.
Once receiving the Certificate of Eligibility from Nanzan University, the student must apply for a “student” visa at the nearest Japanese Embassy or Consulate by presenting his/her passport, Certificate of Eligibility and other official documents to the Japanese consul.
If a student loses his/her Certificate of Eligibility after receiving it from Nanzan University, he/she must report it to Nanzan University immediately.
Visa or change in status of residence application (from one kind of visa to a “student” visa) is not covered here and shall be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.