Established in April 1999, the Center for International Education's broad, international outlook is embodied in its mission to provide both international students studying at Nanzan University and Nanzan University students wishing to study at overseas educational institutions with the necessary support that will allow them to accomplish their academic goals. Below is an outline of the organization and functions of the Center in English, while detailed information is available via the Center's Japanese-language Web site.
Among the Center's main responsibilities is the administration of the Center for Japanese Studies, which runs the highly acclaimed Japanese language and area studies program. The scope of the Center for International Education's operations is becoming increasingly extensive, however, and includes the following broadly defined areas of activity:
- promotion of Japanese-language education for international students studying at Nanzan University;
- provision of guidance, assistance, and support for international students studying at Nanzan University for the duration of their stay in Japan;
- giving international students studying at Nanzan University the necessary support to carry out their studies;
- provision of guidance and support for students of Nanzan University wishing to study abroad;
- responsibility for the recruitment of international students;
- overseeing the short-term overseas foreign-language program of the Faculty of Policy Studies;
- overseeing the exchange agreements with overseas educational institutions;
- carrying out any other activities deemed necessary to achieve the objectives of the Center.